So you’ve been asked to join an interview team – and you’re so excited about it, right?! Probably not. Being part of an interview panel can be tricky. You need to know exactly what you need to hire for and why. You also need to understand what is needed on your team and the job description. What’s that mean, exactly? Job descriptions are often conspicuously missing from the hiring process, making recruiting and interviewing – then onboarding – the right talent challenging. Finally, you’ve got to know what to do during the interview.
Deconstructing the good job description will help you ensure you’re matching the need on your team to the right person, and vice versa. In this workshop, we’ll explore how to accurately screen candidates for scope of a role, how to determine the types of interview strategies that will guide you toward filling the role with the right person, and how to make sure you don’t have to rely on “gut” instinct – that instead you and your interview team are making data-driven decisions about hiring so you can trust your process to help you find the right fit.
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to screen for the technical and behavioral competencies needed for a star performer in the role you’re looking to hire
- How to identify the interview strategies and questions that will support an intensive, equitable hiring process
And you’ll be able to:
- Identify if a candidate is a match for your team’s needs to the appropriate role and competencies
- Write a job description that’s accurate, effective, and need-appropriate
- Run an objective interview process that’s both technically and culturally relevant while working against biases
- You’re a manager who will be hiring and growing a team
- You’re an employee who’s been asked to help interview new candidates
- You’re a program manager, operations manager, or HR generalist looking to support your team with hiring
- You should have gone through an interview process before so you can compare your experiences
- You should be gearing up to hire
- You should have experience interviewing candidates or interest in doing so
Kristen Gallagher is an organizational strategies and learning designer. She is the founder and CEO of Edify, a learning strategy consultancy that solves people operations problems for growing companies. She has architected and delivered onboarding programs for companies bringing on just one person a quarter to 100+ people a quarter. Specializing in onboarding systems, manager development, and knowledge management, Gallagher delivers programs that are designed to evolve and scale with rapid changes. She brings over a decade of learning and development and business partnership experience to Edify.
Decoding the Job Description (90 minutes)
- Opening – 5 mins
- Presentation: 15 mins – What is the job description and where does it fit?
- Employee Lifecycle visual
- Components of the job description
- Exercise: 5 mins Job Description Worksheet
- Presentation: 20 mins – Matching Needs to Competencies
- Real competencies vs. ideal vs. blue sky/unicorn
- Understanding trade-off’s, “cultural fit” and equity in hiring
- Exercise: 5 mins – Competencies Worksheet
- Break (5 mins)
- Presentation: 1520 mins – Creating the Interview Strategy and Managing Bias
- Overview of essential interview strategies and questions (behavioral and technical)
- Bias in Interviewing
- Exercise: 5 mins – Bias worksheet
- Recap: 5 mins
- Closing & Q&A: 5 mins