- Pizza Hut partnered with Cheez-It to release the Stuffed Cheez-It Pizza, which hit menus on Tuesday.
- The ” pizza” is an appetizer consisting of four square pastries filled with cheese and comes with a side of marinara dipping sauce. It costs $6.49 to start.
- We tried the Cheez-It pizza and we were horrified to discover that it tasted like neither Cheez-It nor pizza.
- It was also just plain bad.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Pizza Hut’s new menu item creations can be hit or miss.
But Cheez-Its are a staple of every millennial’s childhood snack cabinet. No, Cheese-Nips won’t do. There’s just something about the perfect combination of salty, crispy, and cheesy that makes Cheez-Its criminally addictive.
So when Pizza Hut announced it was partnering with Cheez-It to bring fans a Stuffed Cheez-It Pizza, we knew we had to try it. After all, what could go wrong when combining two much-loved products that are both, essentially, carbs and cheese?
More than you’d think, turns out
Stuffed Cheez-It Pizzas come in two flavors: cheese and pepperoni.
These giant Cheez-It shaped pastry pockets have a crispy outer shell and are filled with cheddar and sauce.
They were greasy to the touch and simultaneously seemed too big and too small.
They also come with a side of marinara dipping sauce.
But Cheez-Its aren’t normally eaten with marinara, which confused us.
The sauce was sickly sweet and simply did not go with the flavor of the square.
The crust was crispy, but also extremely buttery and flaky. That’s usually not a bad thing in a pastry, but it didn’t come close to resembling Cheez-Its or pizza crust. It didn’t really taste cheesy, just greasy.
The filling also lacked appeal and reminded us of neither Cheez-Its nor pizza. It was chunky, salty, and mostly flavorless. It didn’t have that signature cheesy Cheez-It taste that we craved so desperately.
I could barely tell the difference between the cheese and the pepperoni based on taste alone, which is a huge red flag.
The consensus? We were confused and disappointed because we’d expected a delicious pizza with the iconic taste of the Cheez-It. This was none of the things it’d promised to be. Pizza Hut and Cheez-It should try again, and do better next time.